Which upgrades to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about battery? Which to use? LOSI recomends 2S 5200mah 15C. More mah means longer run time. What about the C rating? I know for my DBXLE more C is better. But here? Do I need 15 or less or more?

The battery doesn't need to be any more than that, it only runs the radio and servos.
A 5200 mah pack will run for many tanks of gas. I used to charge mine after a full day, three or four tanks, only took 300 mah to refill. So I only charge it after several week ends now, never an issue

Be careful asking on an internet forum what to buy. LOL
It is always easy for someone else to help you spend your money.

I did this on a chainsaw forum and now I have 12 saws and there is only one of me.

Enjoy the truck , they are a blast for sure!

I have a 5200 and 7400 mah, really you don't need batteries that big. Even with big and duel servos just bashing the 5200 last a couple tanks and I've never depleted the 7400mah enough in a days worth of running to where it would cut out. Lights and widgets will increase consumption, but not a lot. I'd go with the smaller battery.

1. Kill Switch- https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...itch-and-status-led-for-all-transmitters.html
3. Since I own DBXLE on 8S, maybe the 5T will lack of power. So should I go for the 34cc esp mode, or go for some 40cc complete engine? If I buy now a pipe for 32, will it fit to the 40 or will I need bigger one?
6. Maybe some other than stock tires: https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...-x60-tires-for-hpi-losi-24-mm-hex-drive-.html
7. Diff oils- most are runing 500k-1m-500k. In the manual stock is 10-15-5. Is it realy such a huge difference or are there different scales to measure?
8. Shock oil and rear springs. I am with hardest springs on my DBXLE and when I jump (not more than feet) I almost always belly land. And the 5T should be also heavier. So are orange ok, or should I go for red. I have those options: https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...osi-5ive-t-2-0-mini-and-ufrc-growler-gx1.html. No orange, and red is second. Should I go for black?
10. Steering servo- I think I will first run stock one, since I was ok with stock Spektrum on my DBXLE and I don't race. Will see how it goes. But when I decide to upgrade- should I go for the push pull or not?
11. Clutch, bell thingy. Here it is a dark matter for me. No clue, what is ok, what to search, what to buy and why.
12. I saw on youtube a supercharger for zenoah motors. Are you familiar with it? Is it any good?
OK. Got some answers, bur some questions remained. Someone willing to elaborate on those?

For you to have comparable power to an 8s+ electric rig you'll l need a big bore engine to be remotely competitive. Gas is just different and it's the powerband and the noise that electric lacks. If you want a big bore anticipate spending roughly 3-4k at bare minimum said and done.

So for your list.

#3. Run the truck first so you see what stock looks like so when you build/buy a bigger engine you'll see the difference.

#6. The stock tires are fine and do last, if you read what I've said prior as long as you stay off pavement they last awhile.

#7. 500k-1m-500k is for big bores, you'll never be able to turn properly with 500k diff oil in the front. Big bores are point and shoot and slowly turn around. Run 100-125k front, lock the center so it evenly distributes power front and rear.

#8. 50wt shock oil and TLR orange springs, since orange is not available you want 13.9lb or 14.2 lb rate springs front and 11.0lb rate rear.

#10. The dbxl isn't remotely comparable to the 5ive t and the steering servo that comes with the 5ive does just fine for bashing.

#11. Leave the clutch bell alone, it has no faults like the kraken vekta.5 does. If you want a forever clutch get the FS steel clutch with an 8k spring. In any case fiber or steel clutch you should be using an 8k rpm engagement spring anyway. The truck will feel more zippy off the line with just that mod alone.

#12. The supercharger is a gimmick and that's it,there's nothing else to say about that.

A 40cc pipe will only fit 40cc and up depending on who you buy it from. A 40cc rovan pipe will fit that engine only and could not be used on a 46cc taylor engine,they use different ports and flanges. I would suggest only dealing with zenoah engines or Taylor/alx. Your asking for problems with a rovan engine, may not be immediate but you'll encounter issues later on.

As for a pipe and it's performance, vrc,olimat, bartolone is it and any off brand Chinese pipe is just a noise maker.

For you to have comparable power to an 8s+ electric rig you'll l need a big bore engine to be remotely competitive. Gas is just different and it's the powerband and the noise that electric lacks. If you want a big bore anticipate spending roughly 3-4k at bare minimum said and done.

So for your list.

#3. Run the truck first so you see what stock looks like so when you build/buy a bigger engine you'll see the difference.

#6. The stock tires are fine and do last, if you read what I've said prior as long as you stay off pavement they last awhile.

#7. 500k-1m-500k is for big bores, you'll never be able to turn properly with 500k diff oil in the front. Big bores are point and shoot and slowly turn around. Run 100-125k front, lock the center so it evenly distributes power front and rear.

#8. 50wt shock oil and TLR orange springs, since orange is not available you want 13.9lb or 14.2 lb rate springs front and 11.0lb rate rear.

#10. The dbxl isn't remotely comparable to the 5ive t and the steering servo that comes with the 5ive does just fine for bashing.

#11. Leave the clutch bell alone, it has no faults like the kraken vekta.5 does. If you want a forever clutch get the FS steel clutch with an 8k spring. In any case fiber or steel clutch you should be using an 8k rpm engagement spring anyway. The truck will feel more zippy off the line with just that mod alone.

#12. The supercharger is a gimmick and that's it,there's nothing else to say about that.

A 40cc pipe will only fit 40cc and up depending on who you buy it from. A 40cc rovan pipe will fit that engine only and could not be used on a 46cc taylor engine,they use different ports and flanges. I would suggest only dealing with zenoah engines or Taylor/alx. Your asking for problems with a rovan engine, may not be immediate but you'll encounter issues later on.

As for a pipe and it's performance, vrc,olimat, bartolone is it and any off brand Chinese pipe is just a noise maker.
10x Rep!
I know most stock settings are very conservative, but I was curious why the stock diff 10-15-5 has such a huge gap to the 500-1m/20m-500, that people are driving.
I will have to run the truck like it is for a while, until I can make huge upgrades, but after that it will come again to - should I up only the esp to 34cc or buy complete new 40cc engine? Regarding the pipe- I will def go for silenced, but was curious about models with additional muffler, if there is something to it. Here in Europe we don't have such huge open spaces, where you can run free with noisy trucks and in urban areas, depending on the mood of the people, it could get very expensive to run it unsilenced, if they complain to the authorities....

So with the 10-15-5 weights keep the truck from spinning out or causing issues driving it. For bashing people go up considerably so the truck can slide/drift/ spin and do donuts with it. If you ran a bashing setup on the track you'll struggle to get around the course and the truck will behave far from what you want.

I would buy the esp engine as its very reliable and affordable. As for the 40cc it's not needed really I'd personally avoid it at this time.

Maybe some stupid questions, but...Are the spark plugs same as for cars or some special rc? Also oiling the filter- using any oil or some special?

Spark plugs very similar to what is used in chainsaws and other small engines. Not sure heat range wise but dimensionally the same.
They sell air filter oil just for that. A motorcycle shop would have it. I use PJ1

OK, next stupid question. I will have to use the stock charger for couple of months. I couldn't find any information on how to charge with it. Or better say, what type of battery and plug would I need? Do I need also some special connector/cable from battery to the receiver? I am used to my DBXLE, and there I have a XT90 plug to charge and a balanced cable, but the charger seems to have something like 2 balanced inputs. 1 3 pin and one 4 or 5 pin. So I will need a lipo with such connector? Or is there some adapter for it?

Cheers

Jez Bud you have me there, I wouldn't have a clue sorry 😔
It's a 7O00 mAh, 7.4 volt
The charger is sd4 get power
It's a 7O00 mAh, 7.4 volt
The charger is sd4 get power
You should be able to use the same charger, that you use to charge up your dbxl batteries that you run the car on
How long a run time do you get with electric power

Attachments

• IMG_20240130_183635.jpg
    IMG_20240130_183635.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240130_183613.jpg
    IMG_20240130_183613.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't clear. Here are pics of mine charger. I assume to the right port goes the balanced plug. But what goes to the left? Are there LiPos with such a plug or do I need some sort of adapter?

WhatsApp Bild 2024-01-29 um 16.06.34_39067ef0.jpgWhatsApp Bild 2024-01-29 um 16.07.46_a1c97830.jpg

My white balance wire from battery would go into your 3 pin plug
So I assume the same for you
I miss read your post about arrival time for your car, sorry about that,
It's held up in customs until Easter,
, pitty you have to wait so long

MMM okay, work's as a balance port on my charger, over here in Australia
Battery plugs are standard world wide I think
I'm definitely no battery expert by any means

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks