1/8 scale HPI Savage SC 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it was me i wouldnt of used a baja "transmission" i would of used a 5ive t diff and the diff tower due to the way you have it set in a tranverse nature in the chassis. your going to be side loading that trans and the mounting is gunna have to be stout to hold up to the side load. the 5ive t center diff bolts from the bottom and can take a spool to lock the diff. good luck with that

if i was you and since your already outside of the box stop looking at hpi exclusive parts because your creating more work for yourself and the parts your buying are not ment to work in the way your brain is thinking..im not for this build as there is no pride in your work but it bothers me seeing you building it in this way.. refine your chassis into a single plate and make it look as it should if it came out of a box

I take it you’ve got a diff locker?

Are you making it front wheel drive or are you going to build a crazy drive system to drive the rear?

I’ve seen you’ve gone with plastic too, not so sure about that.

Going to be four wheel drive with a front and rear driveshaft.

Uncertain if I want to lock the baja diff or use heavy weight oil.

if i was you and since your already outside of the box stop looking at hpi exclusive parts because your creating more work for yourself and the parts your buying are not ment to work in the way your brain is thinking..im not for this build as there is no pride in your work but it bothers me seeing you building it in this way.. refine your chassis into a single plate and make it look as it should if it came out of a box
Can you elaborate on the side load issue? Plan on making the mount from steel and there will be zero flex in the motor or transmission
Can you explain how you will power both ends with setup you’ve shown?

It’s not obvious to me, but then again I’m a bit thick.

No problem. With the transmission sideways instead of powering 2 wheels it runs 2 driveshafts. One shaft powers the front axle, the other the rear.

So your trans mounts from the side of transmission case which will produce stress on mounting since its not inline with the rotational force also with a baja im sure it is secured from the back and underneath. A 5ive t center diff would of been a better option and this is technically the "transmission" on a 5ive t and its simple and only one 1 gear and its only bolted from the bottom

and now were back to the , are you gonna support the spur with a carrier question ?
you will melt a plastic case and/or eat tranny bearings without one,
and how are ya gonna have brakes et up ?

So your trans mounts from the side of transmission case which will produce stress on mounting since its not inline with the rotational force also with a baja im sure it is secured from the back and underneath. A 5ive t center diff would of been a better option and this is technically the "transmission" on a 5ive t and its simple and only one 1 gear and its only bolted from the bottom

Hindsight is 20/20

The frame is made of 6061 rather than 7075 as most flat frames are. The 6061 cannot be made into a flat frame and hold up, too soft and bends easily. On the other hand, a c-channel shape frame made from 6061 is quite strong. This does not really allow for center diff mounting though. Since the frame is 6061 I made the motor plate from steel and it does not flex. So when mounting the transmission I will use a steel mount and tie it into the motor mount.

But the transmission case is plastic and will take the load as well..and going with what spents said the 5t center diff would be better as you would have a supported gear,brakes. but my stupidity should of told me you know better and you got this my bad

and now were back to the , are you gonna support the spur with a carrier question ?
you will melt a plastic case and/or eat tranny bearings without one,
and how are ya gonna have brakes et up ?
Integrate a spur carrier into the mount.

just a bit of advice from me mate (y),
if you really want to continue with this build, if i were you i'd take a step back, or a couple of steps back,
ditch the chassis you have now, start afresh on the chassis, 6061 will be fine for a flat chassis,
i made my own extended chassis for my dragon hammer out of 5mm 6068 t6, added two small kick ups at the outer edges to help stiffen it, a copy of the original but 35mm longer and slightly reshaped/ pocketed to lose weight,
then if you bolt down the baja gearbox as it should be, reposition the engine and use a baja gear plate to get the mesh right on the gears,
make or modify a stock baja tranny plate so yer brakes work, and also that will add something to add braces for the chassis, gearbox, engine etc from, link everything together with braces etc,
your centre drive shafts are gonna be an issue, you will need to make some up, baja outdrive to savage at the front/rear diffs,
i've made shafts before and they need to be straight as possible, cut and shut the two drives of the shaft , add a press fit sleeve in beteen the two halves and weld around, tidy up the welds, cross drill where the shafts meet inside the sleeves then plug weld so everything is joined and strong as can be,
tidy up the welds and double check all is straight,
just some advice thats all (y),

edit; also add the front/ rear sections of the baja rear bulkhead to support a baja tranny plate,

Last edited:
just a bit of advice from me mate (y),
if you really want to continue with this build, if i were you i'd take a step back, or a couple of steps back,
ditch the chassis you have now, start afresh on the chassis, 6061 will be fine for a flat chassis,
i made my own extended chassis for my dragon hammer out of 5mm 6068 t6, added two small kick ups at the outer edges to help stiffen it, a copy of the original but 35mm longer and slightly reshaped/ pocketed to lose weight,
then if you bolt down the baja gearbox as it should be, reposition the engine and use a baja gear plate to get the mesh right on the gears,
make or modify a stock baja tranny plate so yer brakes work, and also that will add something to add braces for the chassis, gearbox, engine etc from, link everything together with braces etc,
your centre drive shafts are gonna be an issue, you will need to make some up, baja outdrive to savage at the front/rear diffs,
i've made shafts before and they need to be straight as possible, cut and shut the two drives of the shaft , add a press fit sleeve in beteen the two halves and weld around, tidy up the welds, cross drill where the shafts meet inside the sleeves then plug weld so everything is joined and strong as can be,
tidy up the welds and double check all is straight,
just some advice thats all (y),

edit; also add the front/ rear sections of the baja rear bulkhead to support a baja tranny plate,

Will definitely look into a different chassis. Figure I will first take a stab at getting the Baja transmission (actually more of a transfer case than transmission the way its mounted) into this chassis. If it fits without issue then I will probably keep it that way, if not I will probably re-frame it. Shafts are usually pretty straight forward, the rear shaft will be quite long though. I have built driveshafts for everything from RCs to a 36,000lb Ford F700 (you guys would fall over if you saw that truck) so it is all quite familiar.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks