1/8 scale HPI Savage SC 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I have the bearing support that came with the brake assembly, just need to install it.

Definitely a wear item, how long they last is TBD. Picture makes it look worse than what it is. The front shaft may be a different story.
I don’t agree, it doesn’t look half bad.........,It looks all bad.

Why are you using steel checker plate? Cast iron filled with Lead would be much heavier. ??

Log or like a home depot truck delivering to the end consumer? Kinda alot to be asking of that type of chassis honestly usually lumber trucks around here are tandems and heavier spec than that and with a mofet on the back or a knuckle boom
It was a short run lumber truck (1993) plated at 36k with an axle rating of 36k. Was basically an F800 but had a 5.9 instead of the 8.3, had air brakes, 11r22.5s, 6spd non-od and 4.62 rear. I converted it from a stake bed to a toter-home and pulled GN horse trailers all over for a few years. The truck was a single cab 196" WB. Then I pulled the 5.9/6spd and swapped it for a 7.8l Brazillian/MT643 auto and 4.33 rear. Lengthened the WB to 256" and mounted a 93 crew cab that came out of WV. The 7.8 is a 240hp 11mm P3000, ported/polished head, 3k gvsk with an S366 turbo. The 7.8 is total power house.
Dot law are federal dip poop. doesn't matter what your state thinks. An f700 never had a legal gvw over 26k.
Michigan has slightly different laws than other states. For example we have what is called the "Michigan Special" heavy spec trucks that run over 160k/unlimited axles. MI goes by axle weight ratings so it is highly likely that it was a custom spec'd F700.

https://www.csmtruck.com/michigan-special-kenworth-trucks
so whats up with brakes
Baja brake assembly.

Last edited:
Baja brake/bearing support assembly in place. Brakes hooked up to the servo without any trouble. Front and rear driveshafts are in place, just need to put it back together and it will be RTR.

20210304_075640.jpg

Holy moly.

Disbelief Reaction GIF

First run with the new transmission. Not very fast with the gearing but it has awesome low end pull. Little short run jumps and steep inclines are no problem for it. Having fun.

First run with the new transmission. Not very fast with the gearing but it has awesome low end pull. Little short run jumps and steep inclines are no problem for it. Having fun.

Dude no gearing will sort that out. It weighs 5 ton and has massive transmission loses. If you up the power it might go a bit quicker but it will definitely break quicker too.

You ain’t listening and you are trying to prove point that no one on here cares about. You can build stuff, guess what so can everyone else on here just much better than you.

Your rig weighs too much and is basically poop. The best bit about it is your plastic Baja gearbox but you fcuked that up to.

Give up man and buy yourself a proper 1/5th scale and enjoy yourself, unless you are masochist who loves the build and the insults. You’ve built a POS no doubt, your welding looks like Ray Charles did it after he died. Give up man, because a lot of us won’t.

Last edited:
alrightt...peace
Thing is, if you were building anything decent others would follow you.

People are mostly laughing at you not with you.

We ain’t arseholes on here we all want to help, but ignorance isn’t really tolerated.

Engage with people more and stop trying to tell us we are wrong and you are right. Clearly you ain’t.

Turn this around dude, if want to. Otherwise brace yourself.

Also that rear drive shaft angle is gunna chew up the shaft pins or the drive cup

To follow up on this. You were right, the pins were not too happy. The frame design allowed for me to move the diffs to where the driveshafts are almost completely straight. While I was at it I installed some Ti pins in the dogbones, and boots with grease.

In total now I have ran 6 tanks through it (700ml tank) with few problems.
Seems to be holding up well, keeping an eye on the diffs and Savage drive cups and they are hanging in there. Even ran it into a John Deere loader without much of a problem.

Switched the gearing to a steel 26/48 gear set to help compensate for the extra gearing of the diffs. Puts the top speed around 25mph with stock tires, upping the tire size will net a few more mph. Not fast at all but great for smaller areas with lots of trees and short runs, it works. While I was changing the gears I filled the Baja diff with some heavy fluid to equal the front and rear balance. Just enough slip that it doesn't pull the front wheels constantly.

Total weight is 26.4lb with a full tank. Ended up having to add some steel bracing to the motor mounts and diff braces to keep everything solid. The Rovan 27.5 isnt bad at all, with the gearing it pushes this thing around no problem. The chassis design allows me to access every part of the engine without removing it. Real happy with the Rovan LT dual stage air filter and pre-filter as well.

Damage so far has been 2 plastic servo horns, a set of plastic gears, an a-arm and 1 dog bone. Have been beating the piss out of it everytime it is ran as I want to find the weak points. Understand the draw to the 2 stroke RC, after running this I barely have any interest in my brushless rigs.

Total into the rig is around $700. Yeah, a Rovan Baja can be had around $500 and with upgrades you are at $700. Honestly cant deal with 2wd though, would rather have 4wd. So $700 would put me into Rampage range for a 4wd and...meh...this POS already has enough Chinesium bolted to it.

Cheers,
Thanks for the advice. ;)

Last edited:
From what I gather out of all of this. Yes you built something 1 of 1 cool. But your really missing out on the excitement and joy of a true 5th scale. Upgrades,engines,tires and wheels, speed/handling and bling. My 5ive 2.0 does 50 mph which is quick for what it is and not big bore . Hell these things are mini cars its an awesome hobby and fun to mess with a solid platform

Well of nothing else you've learned a lot. I'm pleased to hear it's working well for you. Look at the used market as far as decent 4x4 platforms. $700.00 can get you a decent used rig, if you catch a deal right may have some upgrades on it as well.
Cheers.
+1??
From what I gather out of all of this. Yes you built something 1 of 1 cool. But your really missing out on the excitement and joy of a true 5th scale. Upgrades,engines,tires and wheels, speed/handling and bling. My 5ive 2.0 does 50 mph which is quick for what it is and not big bore . Hell these things are mini cars its an awesome hobby and fun to mess with a solid platform
+1??

Eating popcorn with approval, ok... ;)

:hungover:
I agree, have been following many threads here. :cool:

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks