hoopty used 5b rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First wave of parts are here! Thanks to DDM for super fast shipping! Quick question about something I didn't think of (I'm sure there will be a lot of this) the new zen290 motor does not have a choke on the carb its built into the platic air-box that I want to swap out for the HPI filter. What do you guys use?

Care to share some secret starting tips? Again I hate to just ask a million questions I’m sure some reading around here will yield all the answers I need. All I know so far is the RTR 23cc and the last SS26cc I had. Lots of learning to do.

ask away dude?...ok..me..i do this....prime bulb....then do say 3-4 slow pulls to draw fuel through carb....then pull as normal?
should fire up then?

sounds good! I’ll also have to do a little reading on break-in procedure/heat cycles for a new engine and what type of oil to mix with. it’s been so long since my last Baja it all feels new again.

jus use a good quality oil...?.but pls don't ask on here..."so ..what oil shod i use?"....as its a never ending debate :rolleyes: and "how should i run in my new engine?".......again there's a few ways to do this? :ROFLMAO:
naa....u can ask on running in??
sum say.."rag it from the off?"..imo not a good ideal.... :ROFLMAO:
imo u can't go wrong following this vid?...i mean it's not like they don't know what there doing ?

Last edited:
That break in Mike (evssv) suggests is what I follow and some others on here follow, haven't heard any issues. And its from OBR and they know their stuff so I'd follow that. On oils, like Mike said , it's a never ending debate and there no such thing as the best oil as that's opinion. BUT, I'll give you some info on oils. So there's 4 types of oils, synthetic, Castor, synthetic/Castor mix, and patroleum based oils. Stay away from the patroleum crap, it's bassically the super cheap, lowest of the low, weedwacker Walmart trash that doesn't belong anywhere near a higher reving engine such as these, so AVOID. Th Castor oil, has the best protection of all of them, except they don't stay mixed in the gasoline very well in the colder temperatures aswel as they produce more deposits than synthetic or synth/Castor mix. Synthetic is the cleanest burning, gives good protection (slightly worse than Castor though) and stays mixed. No word on synthetic Castor mix, I imagine it's great though. So theres your options.
I'd personally suggest a synthetic or synthetic Castor mix Becuase of the very little build up. Some good options are amsoil dominator (synthetic) or Klotz supertechniplate (synthetic Castor mix) aswell as castor 927 (castor synthetic mix but mostly castor)

Last edited:
That break in Mike (evssv) suggests is what I follow and some others on here follow, haven't heard any issues. And its from OBR and they know their stuff so I'd follow that. On oils, like Mike said , it's a never ending debate and there no such thing as the best oil as that's opinion. BUT, I'll give you some info on oils. So there's 4 types of oils, synthetic, Castor, synthetic/Castor mix, and patroleum based oils. Stay away from the patroleum crap, it's bassically the super cheap, lowest of the low, weedwacker Walmart trash that doesn't belong anywhere near a higher reving engine such as these, so AVOID. Th Castor oil, has the best protection of all of them, except they don't stay mixed in the gasoline very well in the colder temperatures aswel as they produce more deposits than synthetic or synth/Castor mix. Synthetic is the cleanest burning, gives good protection (slightly worse than Castor though) and stays mixed. No word on synthetic Castor mix, I imagine it's great though. So theres your options.
I'd personally suggest a synthetic or synthetic Castor mix Becuase of the very little build up. Some good options are amsoil dominator (synthetic) or Klotz supertechniplate (synthetic Castor mix) aswell as castor 927 (castor synthetic mix but mostly castor)
Dominator is my oil of choice. The red colored fuel adds at a minimum 3hp. ?

Quick question! Witch fuel line id the "feed" and witch is the return/pressure line on this wt-990? I'm assuming the line on the bottom of the carb is the feed and the line on top next to the primer bulb is the return/pressure. did a bunch of searching and for some reason I find find an answer.

Thanks!

Quick question! Witch fuel line id the "feed" and witch is the return/pressure line on this wt-990? I'm assuming the line on the bottom of the carb is the feed and the line on top next to the primer bulb is the return/pressure. did a bunch of searching and for some reason I find find an answer.

Thanks!
Too is return bottom is feed

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks