hoopty used 5b rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think ill go with a ZEN 290 I just don't think I need the 320, I know some of you think this is crazy (I have seen some of the insane builds on here). I was happy with my old stock 26 so 29 should be a nice upgrade. No crazy plans. I'm going to tear it completely down and replace or upgrade every worn out part. Its going to be run in the sand primarily so I'll be getting lots of pre-filters for everything. Would like it to look like my old one. I'll get a new engine coming soon along with a pipe. Also needs a new body, new bead-lock rings (don't like the yellow) and a ton of little parts. I have quite the list going. I'll keep this thread updated with progress and hope to keep getting advice! Just want a sold baja I can throw in the car and take to the coast.

Thanks!
290 will be fine ? I have a modified 290 for mine.

If anyone has extra parts laying around they want to sell let me know. I'll get a list of stuff I'm looking for and keep it updated as I buy stuff. Will need to include shipping to Oregon.

Will for sure need a new clear body, rear paddles, set of dirt tires front and rear, wing, gear cover, pipe and much more. I'll be keeping my eyes out on the FS section too.

If I decided to go with a 32cc will I start breaking axles or trans gears? Any reason not to go with the 32? I'll have to look at the price difference.

Last edited:
Both are good, cy tho, has less aftermarket support. So there is less people that modify them to make more power, idk what the reasoning is , just not many people do it. Zenoah, has a ton of aftermarket support and that's the platform pretty much all the big engine builders use. So personally, I'd get Zenoah ? but either will be fine
It's the better engine design = easier to make more power out of. If you look at the two cylinders and know a bit about 2 stroke design it's obvious. Open transfers vs closed ect.

If I decided to go with a 32cc will I start breaking axles or trans gears? Any reason not to go with the 32? I'll have to look at the price difference.

The tranny gears are pretty bulletproof. I haven't heard of the 32 wrecking anything per se. The drive shafts on the older RTR and 5t RTR were garbage, but the SS has HD shafts. They should handle the added power so long as you keep off WOT when landing. But I consider drive shafts a wear item anyway.

I can't see any reason not to go with the 32 unless you're in Z's position of wanting a full mod motor, but not wanting to pay the increased price for the 32.

There are guys running much more powerful engines then a stock g320 with hpi guts in the trans. So (imo) you shouldn't have to worry too much on that front. As @AnubisBC mentioned, drive shafts are a wear item. Once they are shot, get a good heavy duty set and ypull be good for a long time. Not that your stock ones should give you issues.

Sounds like a 32 would be fine on the stock trans, that makes me want a 32 a little more. This does have the HD driveshafts and they are in good shape. I got this thing almost 100% torn down and clean. I’ll post an update today with some pictures.

thanks for the tag in the For Sale section guys! My thoughts are at $225 once I buy a carb and pipe (not a fan of the stock style ss pipe) I’ll be into it well over $300. DDM has a special on the zen290 and they look to be complete with carb and they come with your choice of pipes. I know the stock SS pipe was more of a high end pipe and I think I want a little more mid range power. A little advice on this would be great. I might have to shoot an email to DDM and confirm that zen290 comes with a carb.
Here is that deal.

http://www.davesmotors.com/zenoah-g...ine-with-ddm-dominator-pipe-for-hpi-baja.html

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks