King motor baja is GARBAGE!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok got my Killer bee installed, took her out and it started on the second pull. rode her for about 20 min and ran fine no problems here, will gets pic's soon again Thanks Dan!.

I owned a King Motors last year and got a real hpi baja this year. After running both I will stick the hpi, I broke tons of plastic parts on the king motors, and have not broken anything on my hpi, which I have run a lot harder. The only thing I've busted on my hpi was a bent shock shaftm but that was a thin one.

I owned a King Motors last year and got a real hpi baja this year. After running both I will stick the hpi, I broke tons of plastic parts on the king motors, and have not broken anything on my hpi, which I have run a lot harder. The only thing I've busted on my hpi was a bent shock shaftm but that was a thin one.

After running both I will stick the hpi, where?

anyway go to the HPI forum and talk all you want about your HPI, I had a Baja 5b and broke many parts on it , it all depends how you drive it. again I own this King motor and it is running great no problems here.

After running both I will stick the hpi, where?

anyway go to the HPI forum and talk all you want about your HPI, I had a Baja 5b and broke many parts on it , it all depends how you drive it. again I own this King motor and it is running great no problems here.

Easy Kingpin, don't hate the player, hate the game. Some early generation products by all of these companies have had Q.C. issues. You can't dismiss someone else's personal experience just because it differs from your own. My HPI 5B was the worst experience and almost kept me from trying the Losi 5ive T. How disappointed would I have been to never owned and driven one, never mind come back to newer 5B's that were quite fun for their scale realism and driving style.:rock-on:

Easy Kingpin, don't hate the player, hate the game. Some early generation products by all of these companies have had Q.C. issues. You can't dismiss someone else's personal experience just because it differs from your own. My HPI 5B was the worst experience and almost kept me from trying the Losi 5ive T. How disappointed would I have been to never owned and driven one, never mind come back to newer 5B's that were quite fun for their scale realism and driving style.:rock-on:

I understand, but don't hate on the King motor saying all the negative stuff. like I said had the 5B and had to replace things on it, now I sold it and have the King motor and hope to have it for a long time. like you said Rock on King motors!!!!!.:cup-1:

I can personally say the early 5b was not at all any good . the rear diff was made of cheese I think . and 23cc it ran but move up a few cc's and it came to life .

I have a KM 5b from 2008 and replaced the main drive gears and added new servos and some aftermarket upgrades for the drive system. I love that KM and its now a sand rail with full cage and a DDM CY29 with head kit. Still on the original Diff!! Anyone can buy a gas car and not know what the hell they are doing and bash the car when 90% of the time its the tech and not the car!! Ive been building RC kits since 1989 and been running and racing Nitro since 1994 while going into 1/5 around 2007 right after getting out of racing. I am a Powersports tech and work and mod engines for a living and would guess the OP did not know what he was doing. I could be wrong?

P.S The my Avatar is a pic of the KM/Custom Sandrail I speak of!

The new King Motor plastic has been upgraded to a new and more durable material. It is also thicker and the shape is slightly different to also increase strength. Most of the models now have thicker front and rear upper plates as well.

I've pounded the p**s out of mine, a few flips and roll overs, and have not broken one thing. I thought by now I would of had to replace lots of parts. A few upgrades, a modded cylinder, piston, carb, pipe and rear tires. Front and rear wider stance. Front and rear shock towers. Great power now. Catches traction once in a while and carries the front wheels. Good for this size RC.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
Rovan, King Motor, HPI, Losi ALL MADE IN CHINA. Just one exported to Illinois others to NY. Fact same plants make them. I have a friend that is working over there as a Design Engineer. She told me it's the same plant. Same CNC programs, same plastic etc. So pay for the same cheaper one as your going to do a ton of up grades to it any way. Save the $900 USD and put it into the up grades. I got the K2 roller as I am using a RCMK CR300F 4 bolt and 4 bearing engine. I'll use my radio that I use on my gas boats. Losi and HPI, your paying for a label.

Rovan, King Motor, HPI, Losi ALL MADE IN CHINA. Just one exported to Illinois others to NY. Fact same plants make them. I have a friend that is working over there as a Design Engineer. She told me it's the same plant. Same CNC programs, same plastic etc. So pay for the same cheaper one as your going to do a ton of up grades to it any way. Save the $900 USD and put it into the up grades. I got the K2 roller as I am using a RCMK CR300F 4 bolt and 4 bearing engine. I'll use my radio that I use on my gas boats. Losi and HPI, your paying for a label.
I agree with you on some points, but they are not all made at the same plant or use the same plastic. They all might share the cnc info, but different plants make them. I'm a dealer for King Motor and I talk directly to them. I've owned all three and the materials used are not the same.

But yes, it makes more sense to buy a King Motor and then buy your hop ups from US companies. How do you like that RCMK?

Let's be honest,

Even though the KM or Rovan plastic parts can take some serious abuse, the hpi parts are more durable. I haven't broken a lot of KM parts (two or three) but everytime I got the hpi replacement one.

That being said, I understand r&d cost and the manufacturer (HPI) need to get his investment back. But come on, the baja has been out for almost a decade, the price still hasn't changed a dime. How long is it going to take them to get their money back? How long before the price is affordable for everyone.

At the end of the day, for a lot of people it's not about HPI being a ripoff over KM or Rovan, it's just about being able to afford it.

Sure parts will break, but who has a stock HPI baja 5B nowadays?

A lot of people agree on the fact that the Losi 5ive is a solid platform (I don't own one). At least we will all agree that the aftermarket support is mind boggling. However conservatively 3/4 of those products are not addressing adding features but are focusing on strengthening the truck.

Financially, starting with a cheap base and adding the good stuff (including the HPI parts) as they break makes more sense to a lot of people that do not have a pool of cash in their backyards.

Engine, radio and electronics are always ending up being upgraded! No matter which platform or brand!

It's unfortunate that some people get shamed for owning a KM or rovan without even knowing how they pay their bills. Let's buy them an HPI baja first and then shame them later if they choose to not use it.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the intrusion!

Last edited:
I agree with you on some points, but they are not all made at the same plant or use the same plastic. They all might share the cnc info, but different plants make them. I'm a dealer for King Motor and I talk directly to them. I've owned all three and the materials used are not the same.

But yes, it makes more sense to buy a King Motor and then buy your hop ups from US companies. How do you like that RCMK?

I love the RCMK. I run them in my RC gas boats, mainly Cats. I have a Gizmo Zenoah in one Cat all the rest of my boats are RCMK. Being a person with the Machinist trade in my back ground it make sense to run the RCMK. 4 bolt head but also has 4 main bearings. Crank load is spread out. My marine engines have out lasted Zenoah. I mainly run rear exhausts RCMK. I can not wait to get the K2 running, but my boats take first order. I have way more money in my boats. I also have been in the RC game for 40+ years. As to the parts made in China, they are farmed out to smaller plants/shops. I have a friend of mine that has been working over there for some time after getting her degree here in the USA. And she has done work for plants that make plastic parts ie. Injection molding. Tool and Die work. That's my back ground. Mainly powder metal formed in dies. Its nothing new to farm out work for parts. Look at how Germany built there 109's and FW. Small shops built small subcomponent's that in the end built a flying fighter. In the USA we did the same to build tanks and aircraft and so on. Key thing here is the parts have to hold tolerance specs. Just putting it out there.

Let's be honest,

Even though the KM or Rovan plastic parts can take some serious abuse, the hpi parts are more durable. I haven't broken a lot of KM parts (two or three) but everytime I got the hpi replacement one.

That being said, I understand r&d cost and the manufacturer (HPI) need to get his investment back. But come on, the baja has been out for almost a decade, the price still hasn't changed a dime. How long is it going to take them to get their money back? How long before the price is affordable for everyone.

At the end of the day, for a lot of people it's not about HPI being a ripoff over KM or Rovan, it's just about being able to afford it.

Sure parts will break, but who has a stock HPI baja 5B nowadays?

A lot of people agree on the fact that the Losi 5ive is a solid platform (I don't own one). At least we will all agree that the aftermarket support is mind boggling. However conservatively 3/4 of those products are not addressing adding features but are focusing on strengthening the truck.

Financially, starting with a cheap base and adding the good stuff (including the HPI parts) as they break makes more sense to a lot of people that do not have a pool of cash in their backyards.

Engine, radio and electronics are always ending up being upgraded! No matter which platform or brand!

It's unfortunate that some people get shamed for owning a KM or rovan without even knowing how they pay their bills. Let's buy them an HPI baja first and then shame them later if they choose to not use it.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the intrusion!
It's not about getting there investment back it's the quality of the meteral that they use in there kits
That keeps the price up
And as for shame them later
I'm telling on myself I bought two of them myself
I'm trying to stop someone from making the same mistake I did
If it's all you can afford get one that's the bottom line
But I used that thinking as a excuse to get two of them
It doesn't work out $ wise [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

It's not about getting there investment back it's the quality of the meteral that they use in there kits
That keeps the price up
And as for shame them later
I'm telling on myself I bought two of them myself
I'm trying to stop someone from making the same mistake I did
If it's all you can afford get one that's the bottom line
But I used that thinking as a excuse to get two of them
It doesn't work out $ wise [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]
Just throwing this out there, but the King motors recently upgraded their plastics and beefed up the material in certain areas. It's easy to bash something when it fails, but they are constantly taking feedback and improving parts. I constantly see people generalize information, but it's not always true. Just trying to keep everyone informed and up to date with current info.

Just throwing this out there, but the King motors recently upgraded their plastics and beefed up the material in certain areas. It's easy to bash something when it fails, but they are constantly taking feedback and improving parts. I constantly see people generalize information, but it's not always true. Just trying to keep everyone informed and up to date with current info.
Just throwing this back at you
In the early 2004 Hitec RC was selling junk servos they were bad in the box and they got such a bad reputation they couldn't sell them
So to fix the problems they did something unheard of
they offered a two year unconditional warranty if it broke they fixed it no questions ask
I have personally sent in servos in with no receipt and they fix them or sent knew models to me and I wasn't the only one it was to everyone
Today they can sell servos to anyone and have one of the best reputations
In all of Rc
And still have there two year warranty Today [emoji469]
So instead of saying they have improved there plastic or upgraded there motor
And no one believing it
And having to try to sell the same car as always
I have two of them sitting on a table and they have been there for years and I'd feel bad selling them to someone
Now to the point if you want to sell cars and have a better product than before
Why not do what hitec did and offer a two year warranty on all parts that break[emoji457]
I'd give them another try [emoji87]
But until then I won't be a [emoji517]

Last edited:
@nitrocat, you are obviously very frustrated but comparing what happen with Hitec to KM and hoping for a 2 years warranty is too far fetched.
KM is not in trouble as Hitec was. KM sells well because only some people not all have had issues. Issues rising from the wrong expectation.
One should not get a KM expecting an HPI and KM hasn't made a claim that it has the same reliably as an HPI.

The HPI baja 5B did have a lot of issues when first launched, leading to a slew of aftermarket products to make it reliable. Did HPI issue a 2 years warranty? No.

To each his opinion. I respect yours and I understand your frustration but we need to be realistic.

To stick to the facts:

Some are happy with their KM rigs and some are not. But over the recent years, more and more buyers are happy with their investment than not. Either progress in reliability has been made or buyers have the proper expectation before buying.

So to prospective buyers

- Although KM has made a huge progress, it is still not as reliable as an HPI in stock form.
- Both platforms will require aftermarket parts to make them reliable.

With which one you start with is up to you and your financial means.

We can go on and on about it but I'd rather respect your view and exit now.

Last edited:
No I was not hoping for it I just put it out there
In case KM wanted to change there image to that of a reputable manufacture of quality hobby products
Instead of cut rate products
Even for a clone manufacture
As said from above I to am done with this discussion
There should be enough information here for anyone thinking of purchasing one to make a informed decision
[emoji457][emoji469]

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks