New to me 5ive t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news bad news situation tonight.

Good news is it looks immensely better after a degreasing20210121_001414.jpg

Bad news is the.... jellied snot that came out of the carb when I bumped the primer bulb is not an encouraging sign. This is a walbro hda-223 i believe? Truthfully i will try flushing with fresh fuel tomorrow after cleaning the tank out, and see what happens( I would be hung, drawn, and quartered if I started messing with that motor tonight and managed to light it off), but if it does not run, I will probably pick up a new carb. I detest rebuilding carbs...

I guess we will see! after hearing the umm...."stellar" reviews this engine received, I thought about changing it back over to the 36cc long block I have here( which isof dubious quality, but would work), but if I'm calculating things correctly, I would need a carrier, bell, pinion, the inserts for the chassis, a new clutch housing and a fan cover..... which would come up to about 160$, with a motor that will still need replacing when it dies.

I think I will try this carb, and replace it if it does not run correctly.

Last edited:
$400 is pretty good but with what appeared as rust in lots of spots, I got a little worried there. o_O

Looking good now. Welcome to the club!
Lots of head rust on the hardware, not gonna lie. The drivelines have also acquired some light surface rust, but nothing to deep.

I talked with OBR and thought a bit, think the new carb is going to get ordered this weekend, as well as some more darksoul connectors, a fresh air filter and a new clunk. Have fuel tubing.

I don't want to dump a ton into the car and start another full rebuild, but I do want to set myself up for success as much as I can.

Probably best to pull the engine out and atleast put new gaskets on it so you can see how the piston and cylinder look before ordering a carb for no reason....hows the compression feel when you pull on the cord? Just saying if it was mine for that price I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on some gaskets

Probably best to pull the engine out and atleast put new gaskets on it so you can see how the piston and cylinder look before ordering a carb for no reason....hows the compression feel when you pull on the cord? Just saying if it was mine for that price I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on some gaskets
It's got a ton of compression, no sign of leaking around the jug. Was going g to do.exhaust and intake gaskets and a carb, but had intended to at least see what the intake and exhaust looked like via the port.

if it aint broke?....?
There's some merit in that mindset lol! I'm hesitant to take it apart at this point lol

If I'm looking at things right.... the front and rear diff inputs, and the diff drive cups had boots, but the drivelines at the hubs, and the center diff do not correct?

So some interesting things learned while I'm quarantined.

Did you know if you leave the return line long enough, and hook the car up backwards, the motor can run, it just goes lean suddenly and Peter's out? Yeah, I did too....

This pipe....is dominator level of deafening loud. It sounds cool, but.... ouch..

So the motor, when connected to the gas tank the right way, is running fine, seem to have lots of power( relatively speaking, I know, motor is turd....). It may not have needed a new carb, but I'm pretty sure gas should not look like caramel coming out of a carb....
I don't like this pullstart but hey... and yes I know, nearly yanked it off the ground. Squatting down, one handed, was awkward.

Last edited:
it sounds like its running pretty good
It's not bad, probably needs to be leaned on the bottom a bit, and I have no idea where the top end is, I won't until I put servos in and drive it.

I may pull it from the truck knowing it runs and is worth it, there's crap in the motor shroud, and it would be worth a set of gaskets and a good clean up and mesh mod.

I walked out after it cooled off completely, started third pull.... I'm not complaining.

Excited to get this one running, but it needs a few things yet. I'm only able to.work in short spurts before I get completely gassed, but now that I'm less worried about the elderly people that live with me ending up in ICU, I need to start finishing some of these projects.

don't get into the habit of starving your 2 stroke for fuel...the gas carries the oil to lubricate the engine....ask me how I know.....young and dumb I ran my kx250 dry after each run....well after a few times of that game over

So this isnhownthe two savox servos came to me. Not sure I'm liking this idea tbh.

I do know about the damaged wire, I will repair it before re-install 20210204_032155.jpg

Thoughts? I'm guessing it was working before hand. Was considering unsoldering them and putting individual lead back on them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks