RickDizzle's Raminator Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright yesterday I rebuilt all 4 rear shocks as per my "winter maintenance" I was planning but did it early. New seals, cleaned everything and thread locked the screws holding the shock piston. Fresh new oil and set rebound. They feel a million times better then they did originally. After that went to Monster Truck Chaos about an hour a way with the family. It is hosted and run by Jimmy and Dawn Creten. This is their two trucks.
20210925_165838.jpg

20210925_170437.jpg
Really cool family show. With 5 total trucks, jet truck, freestyle motorcross..and we were blessed to get a VIP pack which scored us a ride in a monster truck!! Super good family time.

Today I finished the rear steer! I just need to adjust the JS Performance steering linkage to get everything set. I used the manuals lengths which gets you close, but they need dialed in. Also need to figure out how to properly set up my expo for the rear steer as I have dialed back the front servos end points to prevent over driving them, but the rear wont let me as that channel is being mixed with the front to do 4WS. Just need to dig into the 7PXR manual and see what I need to do. Also got the new rear brakes in. Couple pics for ya!
20210926_170805.jpg20210926_170730.jpg
20210926_165411.jpg
20210926_165414.jpg
20210926_165439.jpg
20210926_165442.jpg
Kinda dreading doing the front end maintenance, diff rebuild and shocks rebuilds...but to maintain these monsters is half the fun..just don't have much frew time coming my way.
Thanks for continuing to follow this and more to come as always!

I can choose to program it with 4 levels of mix with the 7PXR on the switch I assign it too. So for example I can have it set to cycle between front only, 4WS, crab and then rear only at each push of the switch or dial it all the back to just front then 4WS only. I left it set with all 4 for now as the kids think the crab walk feature is cool. Lol! I'll probably never use it unless the kids are out with me and the truck. Each time I push the switch I have assigned....the transmitter icon changes to show me what mix it is in...not great pics as its late but you can see here. You will notice the truck icon has red turned wheels highlighting what option is selected. Also tells me as I push the switch up top what function it is in for like 3 seconds then goes back to the model name.
20210928_225520.jpg
Front steering only.

20210928_225531.jpg
4 wheel steer.

20210928_225542.jpg
Crab walk.

20210928_225552.jpg
Rear steer only.

Really like how easy that Futaba made the option! Super easy to set up, program and see what setting your on. 🏆🏆

Due to my lil incident with my finger..only got a little bit of work in. As I run a 2s Lipo to power my rig, I got a Precision SMC Lipo alarm and installed it. Super cool as its programmable to alarm at the low voltage you want and it won't false read. Some lipo alarms will false alarm under a quick high draw load, when the battery is actually fine. These are designed not too do that, so when it goes off, you know you hit it. Also replaced my neon red Pure-Tech straps that everyone says were pink. Went with black ones lol!
20211010_171729.jpg
Pic with it on below. Its cool as it tells you total pack voltage and then each cell continually cycling through.
20211010_174425.jpg

I also put work in and got the RII light installed and working. I took that part of the roll cage out, and used a Dremel to take a little bit of cage down to create a nice flat smooth surface. Then drilled a super small hole to fish the wire through. I then used black heat shrink on the wires to ensure they are as out of sight as possible. I ran it under the body to a 9v on a switch. Just to get it up and running and see it. I will either wire it directly to my on/off switch so it turns on off with the truck, or down the road get a new kill switch with a port I can power the LED off of. But wanted to get it going for my "scale look" now.
20211010_174408.jpg

20211010_153846.jpg
Here it is not lit so you can see the actual install.
20211010_174346.jpg
20211010_171601.jpg
Really happy with its scale look and how it came out. Can't wait to get it off the 9v and on to a switch already on the truck. Next I am thinking of getting another driver/interior set. I want to leave the flat portion black, but want to paint the driver and his helmet and such so he doesn't blend so much.

Love what you've done with the big ram!
I've got the same radio but have not used it with my raminator yet. Been using it on my baja, losi, arrmas
I thought about getting the 4 wheel steer kit but i found that it steers quite good the way it is
It actually steers better around my buddies track then the Losi 5ive does!
When/if I ever do a rear steer on something your pics and write up should help me with setup on my radio so thanks for that :)

Love what you've done with the big ram!
I've got the same radio but have not used it with my raminator yet. Been using it on my baja, losi, arrmas
I thought about getting the 4 wheel steer kit but i found that it steers quite good the way it is
It actually steers better around my buddies track then the Losi 5ive does!
When/if I ever do a rear steer on something your pics and write up should help me with setup on my radio so thanks for that :)
Thanks dude! If you opt for rear steer, hit me up and I will walk you through a few other lil issues I ran into. As for stock steering, yeah it is really good and steers well. I really did mine for the "realism" of monster trucks.

Had a chance to set the Raminator's links today and wrap up the rear brake cable install. Easy way to set the alignment is to to take a metal straight edge, lay it across the axle and then across the steering block. They are the exact same dimensions, so as long as the straight edge lines up straight across...it should all be squared. I even re-did the front alignment doing this trick and what do ya know my few clicks of trim could be taken out. Everything is set to zero and truck tracks dead straight.
Took it out for a quick test run and wow. Holy cow it is a nimble 90# truck now. I had to dial back the rear steer to 70% mix as the full mix of 100% with the front, you barely turn and it wants to kick up and bicycle. When I have some more time I will finish making some fine adjustments and see about a video or two before I blow the front end apart for the annual maintenance on it.
One final thought for the night...as I clear the 1 year mark, some of my decals are starting to lift and not want to stay on. Kinda stinks as I spent a full day at least doing them. I am gonna see if I can order another set, have a vinyl company scan them and reprint them on motorcross type vinyl. That stuff is super sticky, lasts forever and doesn't lift, come off or tear like these decals are starting to want to do. What you fellas think...motorcross vinyl the way to go?

I may try that..sadly Primal skimped a bit on the stock ones. They are literally like a plastic sticker for sure not vinyl. I may try the edge trick and then see if my local vinyl guys can scan and print the sheets on actual vinyl. Then prep as you recommend using adhesion promoter! Thanks dude!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks