spents shorty roofchopper rail build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spents

Uncle Fester👻
PLUS member
thought i had a thread for this build, but must just have been in the pics thread or sommat,
anyways,
started a bit of work on this after i had non high rev only low side rev and idle the other day,
been stood a while,so am thinking gummed up, so flush time with brake cleaner,
plus snapped the starter cord ,
reight, so on the bench with it (y),

removed one piece carbon fibre under tray for better access,

then remembered that if yer gonna do more than one job on this its easier to split the rail apart and remove the engine,
so did that (y):LOL:,

had a very important phone call about half way through from milo miles (y):D,
i love talking to miles cos he never stops laughing and is the nicest fella ya could wish to talk to:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:,
so this is as far as i got (y)

That thing is sweet Paul! Nice to see an rc with a tubular chassis vs the typical flat chassis plate (y)
thanks ryan (y),
yeh roofchopper rails are awsome (y):D,
they are strong as feck an all, they will bend if crashed hard, but can be repaired easy enough,
plus they aint as heavy as people think they are, mine weighs in at 14.4kg with battery and an empty tank if memory serves me right,
and there lower than a baja so don't tip/roll as easy (y),

Whats the stats on it Paul? Engine? Upgrades you know the usual
yeh i maybe shoulda added that at start of this thread ryan :LOL:,
engine is obr 34 reed, used to be a meth engine but now back on petrol/gas only,
engine bought blown up for cheap but with a new obr top end in with the deal, did a full rebuild,
new bearings, seals etc, then replaced the crank as well cos that was toast,
basically a new engine, just the obr billet cases were original, plus new 668 carb cos couldnt get a tune on the 1107 i had on it,
the 668 was spot on till i fired it up and wouldnt rev proper, hence this stripdown,
home made insulator out of some phenolic stuff i had,
ddm silenced v2 dominator pipe, tgn short stack filter,
bonehead engine plate, gear plate and modified bonehead front y plate,
carbon battery box plate and servo bracket/plate,
stock metal geared steering servo, savox throttle/brake servo,
quick release throttle/brake linkage,
full carbon fibre one piece under tray which i think are quite rare now,
tr quick diff gear box with heavy duty gears, modified/lightened ddm black magic 55t spur, 19t vertigo pinion on vertigo hex bell,
vertigo enclosed bell carrier, one of the very early ones, i forget the name, rause or fause i think, thats modded to take the vertigo hex bell, just bearings and spacer mod,
rpm a arms all round, i-rc shocks all round with heavy duty rear springs,
tto temp guage and rev meter,
modified battery box, stock baja box but cut down to fit the shorty cage,and to take a life battery,
electronic on off switch, super bee kill switch,
i think it has vertigo front hex drives and kev fruitbat extended rear hex drives,
i'll have to have a look what hex drives i have on when i pull the wheels off :LOL:
i forget what bones and cups are on there, but pretty sure there hpi heavy duty fitted with toobz over em,
GH alloy front hubs and i think it has GH alloy rear hubs on as well,
alloy steering turnbuckles, i forget the name of those at moment,
fg fuel tank,
and quite a few custom home made spacers etc,
basically fully custom roof chopper shorty rail (y)(y)
edit; bonehead tranny plate as well,

Last edited:
Damn Paul this sounds like a sleeper rather than looking like a beater rig :oops:... that one piece tray and tube chassis is feking sweet 👌
lol ryan, its defo not a beater (y):LOL:,
it is quick as well, and they handle so well,and yeh the rail frame took me several years to get hold of,
it was a specific frame i wanted and i'm the fifth owner of it and know all the previous owners,
previous owner were coop, thats uk coop not our american coop, then cosmic jim, then lee 1wheelonly, then bajabert who crashed it and finally gave in and sold it to me after much begging and annoying him :ROFLMAO:, frame was a tad bent when i bought it, i straightened it all out as good as new then built it up and painted it, its the second paint job i've done on it (y),
all those names above are from the old bf-uk forum and some people on here especially the uk lads will know the names :D,

I had the chance to buy one from the man himself but I squandered the opportunity. :(
yeh i've heard lots of people say the same thing monster,
had a fair few offer to buy mine as well, but its a keeper :LOL:,
not even sure if dennis is still making any frames now, his website disappeared a while ago now,

I had the chance to buy one from the man himself but I squandered the opportunity. :(
That’s a shitter mate. It’s hard sometimes to justify big spend on RC sometimes but it’s always worth it in the end, to me anyway. I’ve missed out on so much stuff in the past because I’ve been dithering and deliberating.

You only live once, fcuk it and buy it live with the consequences after. 🤣👍🏽

so decided to separate the engine from the engine plate :LOL:,
couldnt remember the exact engine spec, so full mod meth engine originally,
built by obr october 2014,

pulled the carb and reed block, forgot it had polini carbon petals in there :),

it can have one of ryans @Rep732 cable kits on the starter as well (y),

seems to be a hell of a lot of oil in the case as well, i'll probably pull the head and give the whole thing really good flush out ,
i know where this is going, before ya know it the cases will be split apart and the crank will be out an all :ROFLMAO:,

went back and pulled the head (y),
it has sucked sommat in there at some point, only minor scratches on the bore , and there very minor so no issues there(y),

its all coated in very sticky residue though,
i aint gonna split the cases i don't think, just give it all a really decent flush out and put it back together,
and yes i did use a smear of gasket stuff on the copper gasket :LOL:,
wasnt sure if i should or not with copper gaskets, so added a smear last time it went together,

Last edited:
engine flushed, carb flushed, tank and clunk etc etc flushed,
all sticky stuff now gone (y)(y),

and engine back together (y),
less the pull start that still needs the ryan cable kit fitting, and the exhaust manifold cos might see if the vrc will fit,
yeh it will be outside the cage in part, but i will find that out tomorrow :D,

Looks like a redcat tank Paul?
Nice to have copper head gasket ....can just reuse it👏🏻 so I take it that the case was flushed with the two halfs still together?👍🏻
ita an FG tank doug (y),
and yeh copper gaskets are bob on, but seem to be hard to get at moment,
i did anneal it before reassembly as well (y),
and yeh i left the cases bolted together, proper good flush with brake cleaner , then re oiled the bearings with a bit of 2 stroke oil in a syringe (y),
everything was coated in sticky residue though, only had that issue when using rock oil 2 stroke,
carb was proper gummed up, hopefully it runs a lot better now :D,
oh and made a small change, i was using some viton gaskets on the reed block to engine and carb to reed block,
they were a tad swollen when i disasembled the thing, so have junked those and gone back to paper gaskets,
the swollen viton may have partially closed off the pulse hole, hence maybe why it wouldnt rev ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks