spents vekta.5 lse build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit of a short one with no pics :D,
started setting up the linkages etc, needed to turn the steering servo back one spline on the servo,
did that then stripped the head out of the daft countersunk m3 that takes a 2mm allen key 🤦‍♂️:LOL:,
spent an hour getting that screw out cos no way was i leaving it in there,
changed both horn screws to cap heads that take a 2.5mm allen key now,
packed up and came back in the house, it had disaster written all over it if i carried on :ROFLMAO:,
tomorrows another day (y):),

Good call Spents! I know how that can be. I do have to admit the screws provided with these kits definitely is not really top shelf quality. I've had a 2.5 head snap in half on me. I'd like to upgrade to stainless hardware but will do over the winter as a nice little project.

Good call Spents! I know how that can be. I do have to admit the screws provided with these kits definitely is not really top shelf quality. I've had a 2.5 head snap in half on me. I'd like to upgrade to stainless hardware but will do over the winter as a nice little project.
Stainless is softer than mild steel. Stainless bolts will often round with ease and long before a medium grade mild steel bolt would.

I'm not trying to debate or be a smart ass but please show me the grade of the Kraken Vektas stock chinesium hardware, guaranteed not quality high carbon hardened steel. I'm aware that stainless is softer raw form. This will be an absolute upgrade in corrosion resistance and tensile strength to what is currently there, this is not your average hardware on ebay. Just an example: McMaster Carr is our source for top quality fasteners in any shape or form

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210625-164154_McMaster.jpg
    Screenshot_20210625-164154_McMaster.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 5
I'm not trying to debate or be a smart ass but please show me the grade of the Kraken Vektas stock chinesium hardware, guaranteed not quality high carbon hardened steel. I'm aware that stainless is softer raw form. This will be an absolute upgrade in corrosion resistance and tensile strength to what is currently there, this is not your average hardware on ebay. Just an example: McMaster Carr is our source for top quality fasteners in any shape or form
I wasn't being funny myself, just speaking from experience from replacing fasteners on my formula offroad build, stainless is great for corrosion resistance, but just about every bolt for motor mounts, diff mounts etc that has been replaced with stainless requires the heads drilling off due to them rounding off after using loctite, even if heat is applied to soften the loctite.
Also at work, on the machines even in a clean room we don't use stainless fasteners as they just aren't as strong as mild steel bolts.

Not telling you what to do, just sharing my experience and frustration with stainless fasteners.

Clean, Spents! Nice job.
thanks bizzer (y) (y) ,
Looks top notch @spents
thanks lance (y), there will be much more to come with this build as time goes by as well, lots of changes long term (y):D
the screw in question was one that came with the area rc horns portcity, was low grade tbh :),
and yes i think it was ryan that warned me about the kit screws before i started the build, i've been careful with tightening em right through the build,
and they'll be changed out as and when over time (y), as long as i don't rip the heads out of em gettin em out that is :LOL:

Last edited:
yeh i'm sure hari will be fine with it doug (y),
and looks like it will work s well (y), re positioned the rx again though :LOL:,
its fairly tight but the battery will wiggle in and out now,
just made sense to try it so that battery can be removed through the front cover plate and not have to un bolt the top and bottom sections to do the same (y):)
Not offended at all mate. I think it looks great👍🏼

I’ve thought about removing the bottom tabs and trimming the top cover tabs and moving the side cover holes higher a while back.

How hard would it to be to machine two "wings" in the top cover to bolt the side plate on, and remove the tabs altogether?
yeh i was thinkin along those lines an all sean,
hari will come up with a v2 haric box soon i'm sure (y), with wings :)
That looks great. Can appreciate the time spent
thanks john, yeh i'm a little bit ocd when it comes to rc stuff :ROFLMAO:,
i like shiny and i like neat (y):D,,
thats if this post was meant for me :LOL:

end points and linkages all setup ,
and pipe on,
all ready to test fire now (y)(y),
panels still need paint an that, but that will happen soonish :LOL:,
also need to tidy the workshop a tad before i get the vekta off the bench, tis a bit of a mess again :ROFLMAO:,

Last edited:
Spents, I'm sure Haric appreciates the feedback and realworld R&D plus the suggestions.

Also a tidy rig is easier to work on, nothing worse than an untidy machine to work on.

Looking forward to seeing the running videos. Keep up the good work fella.
yeh haric is a top fella kev , he was fine (y),

i couldnt agree more kev, tidy is easier to work on (y),
i remember one person i know who's not a member on here, was on the old bf-uk forum, well when he lost a screw or broke sommat he always did a quick fix with whatever he had, then 3 or 4 months later there was always the same one or two screws with an inch or more of thread stickin out,
used to drive me nuts :ROFLMAO:, not gonna mention his name though :LOL:,

thanks kev (y), yeh i'm lookin forward to getting the vekta running, am curious how its gonna compare to the dragon hammer handling wise,
both solid axle rc's :D

thanks kev (y), yeh i'm lookin forward to getting the vekta running, am curious how its gonna compare to the dragon hammer handling wise,
both solid axle rc's :D

I think there will be a few people curious about your feedback as there can't be many people with both the DH and the Vekta. I've only seen 1 DH in person and they look like nice machines but the lad sold it to buy an MCD RR5 and then turned it into a W5 after crashing head-on into my 30DNT and obliterating his front end.

I think there will be a few people curious about your feedback as there can't be many people with both the DH and the Vekta. I've only seen 1 DH in person and they look like nice machines but the lad sold it to buy an MCD RR5 and then turned it into a W5 after crashing head-on into my 30DNT and obliterating his front end.
yeh theres similarities between the DH and the vekta kev, but a lot of differences as well,
surprised me how much different the two of em are tbh,
DH versus vekta, so far i'd say vekta wins on chunkiness and quality (y):D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks