Time To Get The Baja Race Ready!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run jconcept chasers and I think they run great. Some guys like the madmax mini pins but I’m not entirely sure I trust their opinion.

(y)Should I be looking for a set of tires for wet conditions too? I'm remembering back to your mudded up photo's and thinking maybe I should have a knobby set as well? All I have now are trenchers.

(y)Should I be looking for a set of tires for wet conditions too? I'm remembering back to your mudded up photo's and thinking maybe I should have a knobby set as well? All I have now are trenchers.
No I recommend avoiding the track in those conditions. I won’t be running in that anymore

Although I don't think they are the best for the track, i really like my trenchers. I've found them to be long lasting, have the right amount of grip and slip for general mixed use. They do decent on pavement, and excellent on grass surfaces. Just due to available I most likely wont be running them after this set. If you don't have anything else till your first race I'd give them a go. At least then you know how they react once you get another set.

Rovan strikes again!
I needed a set of hub extenders for my brake kit and wanted the darksoul set but at $60 I opted for the rovan set at $20. Figured how could they mess up extenders? Well the posts are 1mm shorter than stock hpi and when I tightened down it caused the bearings to bind. FML. Their hubs must equate for this but not my integy.

Ended up cutting down a shim into tiny bits and so far it works.

IMG_20210219_202928449.jpg

Finally got my IRC diff housing and RCMAX ti layshaft. Firstly the description rcmax gives is deceiving. They claim 46g which the shaft is but the screw is another 1oz. You would think they'd list the whole weight being you can't use this shaft without the damn screw. Things like this make me not trust companies. Too boot I had to remove material from the gear that rests on shaft inside the trans, not sure what it's name is. The clip did not have enough room to grab the slit in shaft. Not to mention the clip doesn't fully seat into this slit. Not impressed one bit.

The IRC diff I chose to go with 4 bushings than bearings. I hope I made the right decision because it's a super snug fit. My hope is it will wear in and become smoother. Tough for me to tell which is right as my previous diff leaked and was real worn so I went from sloppy loose to tight.

Fitted with 5k diff fluid. Those of you with race experience, should I consider going thinner? I still haven't really driven this thing yet and I don't know what my driving style is going to be. Am I more of a drifter or a consistent technical driver? IDK

DSC_0144.JPGDSC_0145.JPG

is your transmission internals rovan? if so that would explain the gear. rovans trans internals are always off, the diff cases are wider, layshafts are longer (i had booth and compared the rovan was .5mm longer) so i wouldn't be surprised if the gears were off. and i think the 4 bushings was a good move (y)

Good catch! lol. I'm sure I woulda noticed when it didnt fit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
is your transmission internals rovan? if so that would explain the gear. rovans trans internals are always off, the diff cases are wider, layshafts are longer (i had booth and compared the rovan was .5mm longer) so i wouldn't be surprised if the gears were off. and i think the 4 bushings was a good move (y)
I honestly couldn't tell ya but I lean towards HPI as everything else is HPI, except the upgrades that is. You could be right and I did consider the previous owner may have changed some things. Came with a original hpi tx so I assume everything is hpi. The internals seem to fit ok.

Anybody have an idea why my steering would move faster one way than the other?

I have everything centered but it moves 2x faster turning left than right. I know the manual says to be off 10deg (1 o'clock) but I have set at 12 o'clock. I just can't see moving it 10deg towards the side moving faster to be right so I have at 12 o'clock. I'm terrible with geometry and after trying to understand what is the reason for this, my head exploded.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks