Time To Get The Baja Race Ready!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figure I'd give an update. Disassembled and cleaned everything piece by piece. Took 2 days! I swapped out the cheezy KM rear arms for Integy and getting as much negative camber as I want without the lumpy feel in the layshaft. Reason I went with Integy was because they were the only option I knew of that has reversed threads on the turnbuckle. Much easier to play around with suspension this way.

I had it out for a tune and she's running well just have to remember to lock tight that layshaft bolt, kept backing out on me. The Olimat pipe really sounds feking awesome. Very happy with that even though I hate the header design but thanks to Z for recommending the MOD kit I don't have to be annoyed by it any longer. Will do a video when the weather get's nicer and I have some better gearing for it. Right now running 17/57, debating on whether to go 16/58 or 18/56 next.

Figure I'd give an update. Disassembled and cleaned everything piece by piece. Took 2 days! I swapped out the cheezy KM rear arms for Integy and getting as much negative camber as I want without the lumpy feel in the layshaft. Reason I went with Integy was because they were the only option I knew of that has reversed threads on the turnbuckle. Much easier to play around with suspension this way.

I had it out for a tune and she's running well just have to remember to lock tight that layshaft bolt, kept backing out on me. The Olimat pipe really sounds feking awesome. Very happy with that even though I hate the header design but thanks to Z for recommending the MOD kit I don't have to be annoyed by it any longer. Will do a video when the weather get's nicer and I have some better gearing for it. Right now running 17/57, debating on whether to go 16/58 or 18/56 next.
18/56 seems to be the sweet spot for rigs under 32cc. Although, for you since your racing, that depends on the track . So I'd give em all a try ?

I'm gonna have to. Got 19/55 and 17/57 but do wanna see how controllable 16/58 is. I have a g320 waiting to be put in but I wanna get a feel for the rig and get my driving skillz better before I install it.

19/55 is not bad either... specially when you don’t have good grip
32cc is very torquie

I've got a high rev piston and lightened flywheel to help dull that torque down. I'm heavy on the trigger so I have to work on that before I throw anything bigger in there. Have not tried the 19/55 yet thought it might make it a slug off the line.

Had the truck out yesterday for a bit and I need help. I was under the impression a lighter diff fluid would give me more control but she's spinning out with 1/4 throttle. Completely incontrollable. I also have the rear toe at 4deg in, figuring that would help keep me in a straight line but still can't get to full throttle even in a wide open field.

I don't experience this problem with my Marder but I have a adjustable diff in that and no way to compare the locking effect between the 2. Marder is adjusted by screw and pin. 5k fluid in the baja.

Am I right in assuming I should make a decent jump up in the fluid weight? Anybody have input on the 4deg of toe I'm running?

I'm gonna give 2deg of toe a shot before I pull/clean/refill the diff but did wanna talk this out and get advise before I start making big changes.

5k diff fluid is way too light. Amp that up to 50k-100k. Light fluid is 30k-40k. You'll only get so much help from toe in on the rear. It's a baja and they suck to drive, just something you'll have to get used to.

So my concern with going that heavy is turning radius. Right now I'd say I'm around the 6ft mark on turns. How much you think 50k would add to that? I had grand plans of working my way up in weight til I reached the sweet spot but damn I don't wanna pull and clean the diff that much.

Thanks Doug. I'm gonna give that a try next. I just don't get why I read so many people saying they run 10k and under claiming it's more manageable on track. I've read HPI sent these out with 1k fluid.

Thanks Z.... Ok so 60k it is cause that's what I got handy. Sounds like 30k would be too light and 100k too heavy. But now heres a question.....

When I upgrade in power will I have to go heavier with the fluid to maintain similar diffing?

Noted.... Yea I got really thrown off when it just kept spinning. I understand/understood why but went against a lot of the reading Ive done. I don't see why anyone would want/need it this light.

Hit a parking lot after work today to see what the 5k would do on tarmac. Figured no bumps/divets to cause any diffing out. I was able to get it up to speed and clocked 45mph. Drove in a straight line no problem which was as annoying as it was satisfying. I'm going to assume I could get at least another 4-6mph outta the 17/57 I'm running if I had some slicks and a tighter diff.

Ok so I bumped up to 60k and wow I can drive it now! Gonna stick with the 60k for now and put a heavier clutch spring in to help slide the ass around on them tight turns we're working with here. Yesterday when I was running the 5k a small throttle blip would get it sliding to help navigate the turns but today I was pushing a bit and not getting good wheel spin with the 6k spring I've got in there now. Also ran the Mad Max pin tires today vs the trenchers. So much more grip, everyone who is running them down here is liking them a lot.

Finally I'm getting to the point where I'm happy with the way the truck is handling. Suspension may need to come up a bit in the front and the clutch needs more snap but now I can start working on getting my skillz up to par.

And for all you nay sayers on dem front brakes.... Let me tell you, when coming in hot all ya gotta do is tap the brakes quick and turn, the damn thing will hook and go where ever ya want it being all that weight gets pushed up front. Idk nothing about 4wd but 2wd they work a dream!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks