Motorcycle chat thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• PXL_20220406_020744088.jpg
    PXL_20220406_020744088.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 4
Anyone here know scooters 😆... went with my buddy yesterday to pick up a 2003 yamaha zuma he wanted and the damn thing broke down on the highway 6mins after he bought it 😬. Guy said he recently did a big bore kit but when we got it back and I pulled the plug it looked like it was 10yrs old!

20220423_193041.jpg8014.jpeg

i know a fair bit about lambretta and vespa, but not so much about the zuma monster,
but having said that, if it has had a big bore kit fitted then it should have the cc stamped/embossed on the barrel/jug,
big bore kit will probably be a 60 or 65cc at a guess, and probably malossi or athena ,
judging by the state of that plug , if it has had a kit on it its gonna be fecked mate,
its gonna need a strip down and check the bore/piston etc (y):)

i know a fair bit about lambretta and vespa, but not so much about the zuma monster,
but having said that, if it has had a big bore kit fitted then it should have the cc stamped/embossed on the barrel/jug,
big bore kit will probably be a 60 or 65cc at a guess, and probably malossi or athena ,
judging by the state of that plug , if it has had a kit on it its gonna be fecked mate,
its gonna need a strip down and check the bore/piston etc (y):)
Glad to hear I should expect to see a cc stamp👍I was told its got a 70cc on it now. Compression is shot and I jammed up the kick start somehow.

Glad to hear I should expect to see a cc stamp👍I was told its got a 70cc on it now. Compression is shot and I jammed up the kick start somehow.
yeh just have a good look round monster, cc should be there somewhere (y),
if you find a 49cc stamp on the barrell/jug then the dude that sold you it is bs-ing you,
unless he just bored it oversize and in his mind classes that as big bore kit,
no compression does sound like its in a bad way though,
kick start jammed could its been put back together wrong, or its just the kickstart gear locked up,
or worse case the engines seized or locked cos sommat floating around in there,
going off that plug i bet theres a ton of carbon build up in there as well,

yeh just have a good look round monster, cc should be there somewhere (y),
if you find a 49cc stamp on the barrell/jug then the dude that sold you it is bs-ing you,
unless he just bored it oversize and in his mind classes that as big bore kit,
no compression does sound like its in a bad way though,
kick start jammed could its been put back together wrong, or its just the kickstart gear locked up,
or worse case the engines seized or locked cos sommat floating around in there,
going off that plug i bet theres a ton of carbon build up in there as well,

I'm gonna crack into it next weekend for him so I'll update this with some photos when I do. I feel kinda dumb cause I went with him to look at it and gave my approval. It is clean, ran smooth, no vibrations, no bogging and had good tires w/ upgraded blinkers and handle bars including all original parts which were not damaged. Definately garage kept w/ 2k miles but I shoulda made him take the plastics off so I could pull the plug at very least. Not the quickest thing to access especially when I don't know a thing about these things other than what relates to our r/c's.

As we stand now....
Top of piston actually looks cleanish and I can get the piston to move up and down once, then it get's stuck and I have to back it up/spin flywheel other direction. IDK what I did to break it when trying to kick it over 100x but I fekked something up. I'm not even sure if I have the new plug timed right. Put it in stock and then tried 0.22" :unsure:🤷‍♂️

Gonna start with pulling the trans and understanding how that all works then try to spin the motor and see if still jammed. Either way after that I think it's best to pull and open the motor.
Great Scott batman how the F did that engine run with that plug looking like that!
Dude that's why I feel like such an arse! But it didn't bog or nothing. Looking back, maybe, it had poor acceleration from a stop but idk how fast they supposed to take off ya know. Only thing I could pick at was the throttle. It sticks a little. Guy musta shut it down and started it 10 times while we were looking at it too. Seemed good.

I'm gonna crack into it next weekend for him so I'll update this with some photos when I do. I feel kinda dumb cause I went with him to look at it and gave my approval. It is clean, ran smooth, no vibrations, no bogging and had good tires w/ upgraded blinkers and handle bars including all original parts which were not damaged. Definately garage kept w/ 2k miles but I shoulda made him take the plastics off so I could pull the plug at very least. Not the quickest thing to access especially when I don't know a thing about these things other than what relates to our r/c's.

As we stand now....
Top of piston actually looks cleanish and I can get the piston to move up and down once, then it get's stuck and I have to back it up/spin flywheel other direction. IDK what I did to break it when trying to kick it over 100x but I fekked something up. I'm not even sure if I have the new plug timed right. Put it in stock and then tried 0.22" :unsure:🤷‍♂️

Gonna start with pulling the trans and understanding how that all works then try to spin the motor and see if still jammed. Either way after that I think it's best to pull and open the motor.

Dude that's why I feel like such an arse! But it didn't bog or nothing. Looking back, maybe, it had poor acceleration from a stop but idk how fast they supposed to take off ya know. Only thing I could pick at was the throttle. It sticks a little. Guy musta shut it down and started it 10 times while we were looking at it too. Seemed good.
am interested to see whats wrong with it monster,
hopefully alls well internally, but sounds like it may need some tlc .

edit, just had a look at starter diagram and it looks pretty basic tbh, might have just over extended the gear or the starter clutch jammed or similar (y)

Last edited:
I’ve always been on 2 wheels, but never on the street.

Attachments

• 3EFF1DFD-DF08-4368-A53A-E865DA069D8A.jpeg
    3EFF1DFD-DF08-4368-A53A-E865DA069D8A.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 7
  • D79DB381-ABA3-48D2-BCBF-09860F801FD6.jpeg
    D79DB381-ABA3-48D2-BCBF-09860F801FD6.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 810A9A9B-9A18-4B40-B787-679EC95923E0.jpeg
    810A9A9B-9A18-4B40-B787-679EC95923E0.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 5
  • A70464C4-CEFC-41D3-9CCF-2094F667EBA9.jpeg
    A70464C4-CEFC-41D3-9CCF-2094F667EBA9.jpeg
    699.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 165E78F1-5C22-4BBE-993C-012446197EFA.jpeg
    165E78F1-5C22-4BBE-993C-012446197EFA.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks