Z's HPI Baja PT:2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chassis not bent is it?
The gear mesh looked fine so I don't think so ,but I will check ? if so, bonehead incoming ??
Someone explain this to me. How do the Spur gears strip like this? If the gear mesh is good that really shouldn't happen . Is the pinion gear getting hot and melting the spur gear ?
I've seen pictures like Z's before and never understood how this happens.
It's not melting, the teath just break off, maybe heat makes em brittle after a few hours? No idea.
Could be just not made for upgraded engines. Maybe it was intended for a upgrade from stock for a stock engine ?
also noticed, the hostile axle boots are absolutely feked ? waste of 14 bucks, pieces of poop ???

Last edited:
Buy a steel gear and be done with it?? and get a long allen wrench and cut the short end real short get a good torque on that head bolt??
Yeah the exhaust bolt was a weird thing , probably didn't tighten it enough. Yeah I'm going to buy steel this time, and I need axle boots so I need to do something about that, not buy hositles ???????????????? ? $14 for some rubber that don't even last long ?????????? fek that ?

You work on bajas like Democrat’s trying to run the country. Orthodoxly gay dumb poop. Learn to work right. Your Baja wants to be republican which means actually to function exactly like it should correctly. Not democratic “I have it and it should do what I half ass do......

beat on Zed for being a pleb? but leave the political yab out of it ?? and if you have to talk politics go here ??????https://www.largescaleforums.com/th...d-aka-oh-fek-my-phone-is-tapped-??‍♂️?.24786/

Ok back to the subject matter. So , clearly hostile boots are poop. And don't last long at all, and way too expensive. So I'm thinking about using maybe a large id silicon tube or maybe heat shrink tuning as axle boots to keep grease in ? what do you think? May seem like a hack but ifi t works better than the hostile poop than why not.

Any axle boot without a shield is gonna shite the bed eventually. The pre 5t SC/5B 2.0 carriers are just an axle boot death waiting to happen if you're running anything larger than the stock drives, which you are. That's why I went with the FLM carriers. They don't envelop the boots, so they can expand without any worry of snagging on the carrier. With my crappy pyrex lid shields in place, the carrier boots have held up for the longest I've ever seen. 10 runs so far, and no sign of stopping. One is even an old non-SD stock HPI boot! ? . Can't say the same for the transmission sides; I lost one side in a short run at the rocky park. The other is still holding up, but another run on the rocks might change that. If hostile boots ever get restocked, I might build in a secondary shield to protect them. For now, I just have extra FLM drive pins for the bones and will track the wear that happens on the un-booted drive cup.

I'm considering going the route of the Godzilla drives and just pressure fitting a copper or bronze ring around each cup to keep it from throwing the drive pins and running without any kind of boot.

Think about it, the Losi models aren't running boots out of the box, and they're just fine. It made a lot more sense when the drives were smaller and more prone to breakage. The large scale hobby has come a long way since then.

I think you should experiment with whatever you want and see if something eventually works.

I am extremely worried about your spur gear situation. If you're melting plastic gears, steel won't do you any favors if there's something fundamentally wrong. Case in point: BajaSpurAndPinion(1).jpg

This was due to a pinion that wasn't fully seated on the bell. It walked back and forth and shredded the spur.

I've been running the stock plastic spur without a cover for the last few runs now, and it's looking nothing like your Hostile: In fact, it still looks brand new. Either Hostile's plastic is completely garbage, or you still have a mesh issue.

After seeing Enzo's thread, I get the feeling that the last gen Hostile spurs just aren't up to snuff anymore. But you should still try running the stock gearing if you can just to see if the spur holds up before investing in steel gears.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks